Skip to main content

Nelson Mandela's 96th Birthday


  • Google Doodler Katy Wu tells us a little bit about the creative process behind making the Nelson Mandela doodle.


    Getting to celebrate someone as monumental and influential as Nelson Mandela must have been exciting, but also kind of intimidating. Can you tell me a little about your experience working on this project?

    A few months ago I was looking to work on a bigger project and the time was right, so I got assigned to work on the Mandela doodle. At first I thought I would have to make a very serious, somber sort of doodle and I wasn’t sure what to do.




    But after learning more about Mandela as a person I started to understand that he was a man with a lot of character, and not always just a serious figure. That started to give me more ideas about how to approach this doodle.

    Right. I remember you telling the doodle team in earlier pitch sessions about
    some of his dance moves. What other kind of research did you do?

    I read about Nelson Mandela online and in books to get a better idea of
    who he was as a person.  I also received a lot of help from our local doodle manager in South Africa when it came to fact checking smaller lesser known details about South African culture, history, and people.

    What inspired the creative direction?


    Something that stood out to me about Nelson Mandela was his eloquent way with words.  I thought his words gave a great insight into the kind of man he was, so I wanted to focus the creative direction of the doodle on his quotes against a backdrop of the history of South Africa.
     
    You definitely put typography to good use in order to give Mandela’s words a new dimension. How challenging was that?

    While working on the Doodle I spent a lot of time looking at examples of
    typography online and in design and typography books.  It took a lot of trial and error to figure out which typefaces can best abstractly convey the sort of feeling or atmosphere I wanted in each illustration.


    The font, artwork, and story had to work together on this project.  Most of the quotes are hand drawn except for the first 2 slides.  By studying how other fonts are designed I began to draw my own so that I could better integrate the font with my own artwork.



    Any hopes for how our users will respond to this doodle?

    I hope it inspires people to learn from Nelson Mandela and his way of life, to be kind, to understand, and to respect other people and our differences.



  • Comments

    1. More googgle doodle related from India...
      http://www.google.com/doodles?q=India

      ReplyDelete

    Post a Comment

    Popular posts from this blog

    In pics: The Bachchan Family Tree

    The Bachchans:  Bachchans are busy celebrating the arrival of Aishwarya and Abhishek's daughter. Let's meet the Bachchan clan Harivansh Rai Bachchan, Amitabh Bachchan's father was a famous Hindi poet. He is most popular for his book 'Madhushala'. He passed away in 2003. Harivansh Rai Bachchan got married to Shyama in 1926. Shyama died after ten years of marriage. Harivansh married Teji Bachchan (in the picture) in 1941. They had two sons, Amitabh and Ajitab. Born in 1969, Amitabh Bachchan is the most popular Bollywood celebrity today. Ajitabh Bachchan (second from left) is Amitabh's younger brother Amitabh Bachchan is married to actress Jaya Bachchan. They have two children, Abhishek Bachchan and Shweta Nanda. Jaya was born in a Hindu Bengali family to Taroon Kumar Bhaduri and Indira Bhaduri. Her father was a writer, journalist and stage artist. Abhishek's elder sister Shweta Bachchan Nanda is married to industrialist Nikhil Nanda. Nikhil and Shweta have t...

    George Boole’s 200th Birthday

      Here’s an easy, yes-or-no question: Is the universe complex? YES, of course, you could say; it would be crazy to think otherwise! But on the other hand, British mathematician   George Boole   taught us that NO, things can be seen as relatively simple; any values can be pared down to yes or no, true or false, or 0 or 1 (which, here at Google, is our personal favorite). In 1849, Boole was appointed as the first Professor of Mathematics at   University College Cork , where he pioneered developments in logic and mathematics. His beautiful binary “Boolean” system was detailed in   An Investigation of the Laws of Thought   in 1854, which inevitably enabled revolutionary thinking in not just logic and math, but also engineering and computer science. As one of the most important scientists to have ever worked in Ireland, Boole effectively laid the foundations of the entire Information Age while working from UCC. So it’s fair to say that without Geo...

    Kishore Kumar's 85th Birth Anniversary Celebrated With Google Doodle

    Google  has paid tribute to the late Kishore Kumar on his 85th birth anniversary, with a doodle. Kumar was one of the greatest artistes to have performed in Indian cinema. He was a great actor, music composer, singer, director, film producer, script writer and a lyricist. Google highlights his versatility through four icons placed in the four corners of the rectangular doodle. These four icons represent acting, direction, script writing and singing. The doodle simply reads "Google" with the letter L replaced by a sketch of Kishore Kumar's face. The doodle looks like a hand-painted film poster common in Bollywood until the 1980s. Kishore Kumar was born on August 4, 1929 as Abhas Kumar Ganguly in Khandwa, Madhya Pradesh. His elder brother Ashok became a Bollywood actor when Kishore was a child. Ashok would later help Kishore join the industry. Kishore Kumar started his career as a chorus singer and made his first film appearance in the film Shikari in 1946. Two y...